ChatGPT, How does Microsoft’s investment in OpenAI impact companies?
Microsoft made its third investment in OpenAI and all of its solutions, including ChatGPT, could be used by companies using Azure OpenAI.
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot prototype that generates very accurate and human-like texts. It can answer general questions, create multi-paragraph texts, and translate languages, among other things. Which is possible through a machine learning process that arises from a large set of text data.
In this article, we tell you what ChatGPT is, why, and how Microsoft will incorporate it for its various users. In addition, we discuss how companies will be able to benefit from this change.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence chatbot prototype that generates very accurate and human-like texts. It can answer general questions, create multi-paragraph texts, and translate languages, among other things. This is possible through a machine learning process that arises from a large text data set.
This chat system based on the GPT-3 AI language model was developed in 2022 by OpenAI. And, thanks to more than 175 million parameters and training with large amounts of text, it can perform various language-related tasks.
Thus, this AI chat has the ability to give very accurate and complete answers, expressed in a very natural language. This is why it is often difficult to distinguish whether the text has been created by artificial intelligence or by humans.
Why Microsoft will incorporate ChatGPT into all its services
In July 2019, Microsoft invested $1 billion in OpenAI. From there, it became the “exclusive” provider of cloud computing services for that company. Since then, OpenAI has used Azure’s infrastructure to train its innovative models.
A second round of investments was made in 2021, and this year marks the third round of investments, which makes the partnership between Microsoft and OpenAI even stronger.
Microsoft’s goal with this investment is to “accelerate advances in AI to ensure that these benefits are shared broadly with the world”.
To achieve its goal at this stage of investment, Microsoft would open up the benefits of using ChatGPT in 2023 to
- Bing search engine users: through the addition of the GPT-4 version, which is faster and offers more detailed and more humanized responses.
Image: Leaked Bing interface with ChatGPT [Source: @Owen_Yin on Twitter].
- Azure OpenAI user companies: who, in addition to taking advantage of the full potential of ChatGPT, will be able to create applications with artificial intelligence through access to all OpenAI models.
Thus, “developers and organizations across all industries will have access to the best AI infrastructure, models, and toolchain with Azure to build and run their applications,” said Satya Nadella, president and CEO of Microsoft.
Meanwhile, AI is also expected to be present in the new version of Windows to be released in 2024.
How does the incorporation of ChatGPT impact companies using Azure OpenAI?
With the eagerness to “democratize AI” Microsoft, from this stage of investment, would make the various OpenAI tools available to all customers.
In this way, companies using the Azure OpenAI cloud will be able to create cutting-edge applications, based on next-generation artificial intelligence. Thanks to this partnership, by using the OpenAI API and Azure OpenAI Service, companies and developers can build on GPT, DALL-E, and Codex.
In turn, Microsoft confirmed that they implemented their own security measures for Azure OpenAI Service, such as, for example:
- Limited access: So developers must request access describing how they will employ these tools before being allowed to enter them.
- Content filters: These analyze the generated content and intercept if it is abusive, hateful, or offensive. Alerting the developer to take “immediate” measures to avoid these abuses.
As we can see, through this investment by Microsoft, companies using Azure OpenAI would have a development platform based on artificial intelligence without sacrificing cybersecurity.
Therefore, this action would boost the digital transformation of organizations, boosting their growth.
IA may sound far from your organization’s reality. However, you can take advantage of its potential through migration to the cloud, accompanied by the comprehensive advice of a team of professionals.
At Wezen we can offer you end-to-end service, to perform a successful migration to the cloud and, if your organization already operates in the Azure environment, help you get its full potential.
- January 23, 2023. Microsoft and OpenAI extend partnership. Microsoft. Accessed February 07, 2023. https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2023/01/23/microsoftandopenaiextendpartnership/
- January 17, 2023. ¿Problemas para Google? Microsoft agregará ChatGPT a un nuevo servicio online. Semana. Accessed February 07, 2023. https://www.semana.com/tecnologia/articulo/problemas-para-google-microsoft-agregara-chatgpt-a-un-nuevo-servicio-online/202320/